All Languages    |   EN   SV   IS   RU   RO   FR   IT   PT   NL   SK   HU   LA   FI   ES   BG   HR   NO   CS   DA   TR   PL   EO   SR   EL   |   SK   FR   HU   NL   PL   SQ   IS   RU   ES   SV   NO   FI   IT   CS   DA   PT   HR   BG   RO   |   more ...

Angol-magyar szótár

Online Dictionary Hungarian-English: Enter keyword here!
  ÁáÉé...
  Options | Tips | FAQ | Abbreviations

LoginSign Up
Home|About/Extras|Vocab Trainer|Subjects|Users|Forum|Contribute!
Übersetzungsforum Englisch-Ungarisch
 sztaki / dictzone / (even eudict.com) !!! »
« Hey fellow contributors!    

Hungarian-English Translation of
unusual irregular

« go back | show/hide answers | follow discussion
Term:
unusual/irregular plural  
by szelanyo (HU), 2012-06-18, 11:50  like dislike  Spam?  
Hi everyone,

it's not the first time, that we interprete the Guidelines differently regarding plural tags in EN-HU.
See the following input http://enhu.contribute.dict.cc/?action=show-history&id=707049
It is clear even without a (pl) tag that both sides are plural, if one knows at least one side of the equation.
But the EN "brethren" is an irregular plural form, and if "irregular" = "unusual" (-Guidelines), we should tag it with (pl). In this case, we should do this with "men, feet, etc." as well, as they are all irregular plural cases. I have already modified some of these, but the Guidelines are not too obvious about this, so I'd like to ask your opinion first and make it clear once for all.

Thx
Balint

Guidelines: "PLURAL / SINGULAR TAGS
For nouns in languages without grammatical gender, such as English, Hungarian or Turkish, use {pl} and {sg} in the respective field to denote plural or singular if unusual or different from the grammatical number in the other language.
If both languages in the pair have no grammatical gender, use the tags when the grammatical number is not the same on both sides."
Answer:
{pl}  #660848
by admin (AT), 2012-06-19, 00:43  like dislike  Spam?  
I would definitely use {pl}, as brethren is not necessarily recognizable as a plural word, and agree that the rule could be defined somewhat more precisely - maybe by adding the word 'irregular' after unusual? (However, this should be discussed on a broader level and taking into account the reasons why the original guideline was defined as it is. (I personally also see nothing wrong in marking an entry like 'men' or 'feet' with {pl}; the tag is not bulky, so it 'can't' hurt, especially if it only appears on one side.)
Answer:
{pl}  #662260
by szelanyo (HU), 2012-06-27, 20:55  like dislike  Spam?  
Thank you. So the vast majority of the contributors agree with this point of view:) I'm going to make beautiful inputs out of all the irregular EN plural cases I can find.

Optional: Login | Sign Up 
  Answer the question or add a comment
Please log in to post an answer to this thread - or post a new question.
back to top | home© 2002 - 2020 Paul Hemetsberger | contact / privacy
Hungarian-English online dictionary (Angol-magyar szótár) developed to help you share your knowledge with others. More information
Links to this dictionary or to single translations are very welcome! Questions and Answers
Advertisement